ZUEEUZ.blogspot.com


Sunday, November 21, 2010

Vintage Christmas Trees

 
I recently got these trees from a friend of a friend, you know how that works.  I'd actually been to one of her sales before and bought a pair of lamps and some other bits, but I didn't realize it was her until I got to her place and realized I'd been there before.  So, I looked through her garage, shed, and storage room in the house.  But these are by far the most exciting treasures I came home with.


The traditional Christmas colored one was a little worse for wear with some of the backing material torn and faded.  So I didn't feel to bad taking it apart to use for parts.  Sorry for the fuzzy picture here.


What I was most thankful for was that these were created before the days of hot glue guns.  Whoever put this together poked the pin and earring backs into the foam base with extra support coming from straight pins or bobby pins.  And almost all the pieces were in tact.  In fact most looked unused, no missing rhinestones or wear or tarnish on the base metal. 
  



This is a pile of pins with some sequins that look like they might be the same as those found on Enid Collins bags.  (see my post about Enid Collings purses here)


Here's the tree carcass, what's left after I took what I wanted.  The background is a yucky green plastic material.  That's gold lame fabric, green velvet ribbon patches, and sequin trim.  All this is held on with those 1/2 inch short straight pins.


In total there are 18 pairs of earrings and 16 broaches, plus some necklace pieces.  Alot to play with.



The other tree has a pink velvet fabric base and clear rhinestone bits.  There are a couple bear spots around the bottom that I have since filled in with a few clear pieces from the other tree.


I bought these trees intending to take them both apart and use the parts.  But the pink one is growing on me and for now, it's in my little girl's room.  Little?  Well, she's almost 20.  Our first Christmas decoration for the season.  We'll see what her reaction is when she comes home in a month for Christmas break.  Ha!


8 comments:

  1. Wow, what an amazing bunch of goodies! I've never seen anything quite like these trees!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Susanne, These were great finds! I also would have left the pink one like it is. It's so pretty!
    Have a great week!
    Hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the pink one too, just the way it is. I have never seen anything like these trees, and what a treasure trove of costume jewelry.This is a good idea for anyone with a jewel box full of old un-used and un-worn baubles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Those jewels that came off of the green one are spectacular, lucky you! I would leave the pink one too, since it's not coming apart, it's so nostalgic. Thank you so much for your sweet comment, it made my day! Theresa xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am drooling here:-) I just love that pink tree and would never be able to part with it. The jewels from the other tree are gorgeous. Looking forward to seeing what you do with them.
    Have a wonderful and blessed Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OOOH That pink one would be hard for me to take apart, it is sooo pretty and unique. You did get lots of great jewels from the other one:)Good for you. Happy Thanksgiving!
    ~Debra
    Capers of the vintage vixens

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just popping in to wish you a Happy Thanksgiving! I'm thankful that I have your blog on my list of happy places to visit!

    ps - I'm drooling, DROOLING, over all of your bling!

    ReplyDelete
  8. More "Bling Sightings"!*!*! Soooo pretty AND ~ you're right about NO GLUE GUNS!!! - Imagine That...
    Jeanine, ChiPPy!-SHaBBy!

    ReplyDelete